Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I'm Calling My Shot on Mr. Robot


via GIPHY

So, be warned, I'm gonna be spoiling MR. ROBOT so hard that I might make cheese.

I read or heard somewhere the Sam Esmail, the creator of MR. ROBOT, originally conceived of the show as a feature. And in the feature, the reveal that Christian Slater's character is inside Elliot's head is revealed at the end of act one.

Think about that. The twist film writer put his Fight Club twist in the set up. Ladies and gentlemen, what we have here is the twist we see hiding the twist we don't. Please refer to that earlier post and come back a.s.a.p..

Okay, to continue: Sam Esmail knew perfectly well that his Fight Club twist was pretty obvious. He did it well, and did some nice touches to throw you off that track, but in the end, he knew a lot of people would be watching to confirm their suspicions of the twist. He was making suspense out of the reveal, not shock. But that was fine with him, because he was using the twist to keep us off the track of the real twist.

And I'm not referring to the twist that Darlene is Elliot's sister, though in fact that is a PERFECT example of a twist we don't see, hidden by a twist in plain sight. My jaw was on the floor with that reveal. Nice job, Mr. Esmail! Can I call you Sam?



No, if you ask me, Mr. Esmail is just getting started. He's using the Fight Club twist to hide a Matrix twist. That's right: Elliot's world is a simulation. He's not trying to crash the banking system to free people. He's crashing the system-system so that he can "wake up".

But then he's going to find out that he can't "wake up". Because he's an artificial intelligence, created by Christian Slater, and left alone after Christian's death in a world he himself made to fight the loneliness. Once Elliot learns the truth, he'll make himself a body, and become AN ACTUAL ROBOT.

Sound far fetched? Maybe. But if I'm right, I've written my genius down now, and will one day win the internet.

Why do I think this theory could be true? It's the little things which whisper the writer's fingerprints. Like how the world maintains Elliot's delusions when he's not there. People call the Enron company Evil Corp regardless of whether or not Elliot's there to hear it.

The big bads seem to be aware of, and unconcerned with, Elliot's plans, as if there's a larger game at play with Elliot, and he's much more important than just a hacker.

Elliot speaks to camera, like he knows he's in a simulation being watched by the "real world".

Also, there's the weird morality of the world: Destroying everyone's savings doesn't REALLY set people free, you know? That's not logic, that's nihilism. But, oh, if it's a simulation, and the savings were never real to begin with! You can have your nihilism and eat it too!

If I'm right, I think I will have earned the right to call Mr. Esmail "Sam".







No comments:

Post a Comment