Thursday, November 12, 2015

Calling My Shot on Fargo Season 2


via GIPHY

First off, if you didn't know already, Fargo is the best non-HBO TV show since Breaking Bad. Please,  don't make me choose between Fargo and Game of Thrones.


via GIPHY

You know those scenes in other shows where you figure now is a good time to check your email? Fargo doesn't really do those scenes. Fargo let's you know from the get-go that it's got an ending coming that pays off countless plants, so pay attention, THIS IS NOT A SHOW TO WASH YOUR DISHES BY.

Hey, btw, SPOILERS ahead. To continue obvious statements, the following will be in English.

I could analyze any episode with sincere slow-clap praise, but I want to focus on one of the strangest plants of any TV show in recent memory. I'm talking about the UFO sightings: What the hell is this about? Right?

There's been much internet discussion about the UFO bit already--that it's based on a true story, that it's a reference to other works by the Coen Brothers, that it speaks to the paranoia of the time period.

But I want to call out where I think they're really going here. I think Betsy Solverson is going to be abducted by aliens.

Betsy was strangely absent from season one, and has cancer in the season two prequel, so the safe bet is that cancer kills her. Which is precisely how a clever show like Fargo sets up its fake outs. 

Of all the characters, Betsy is MADE for abduction. She's the angel too good for this world, whose absence haunts Lou and Molly with loss in season one. How did they deal with her death? How could they? 

I don't think they did. Either Betsy is abducted, or Lou convinces himself and Molly that she was abducted in order to lessen the pain of loss. If it's a fantasy, then I suspect her body is lost and never recovered, which makes me wonder if Betsy falls beneath the ice, perhaps in a suicide. 

I actually had this suspicion since episode 4, Fear and Trembling. But that suspicion has become a nagging one with episode 5, The Gift of the Magi, where Betsy sees a UFO in Molly's drawing.

Five more episodes to see if I'm right. Second prediction: Blood will be involved, moving in an inside-the-body-to-outside-the-body direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment