Wednesday, November 18, 2015

It's Clear That This Description Needs To Be Rewritten.

Ever read "it's clear" in a screenplay?

"From the look on her face, it's clear that she loves him more than anything or anyone in the world."

"It's clear that he he hates his boss."

"It's clear that he doesn't know how to swim."

I've read it in professional scripts, from writers I respect.

Don't do it.

I mean, do it in your vomit draft if that gets you through the scene, but when you're done, do a search, and cut that duct-tape wallet of a description line out, and write better.

I was just reading "The Martian" by Drew Goddard: Let's look at how he achieves a character's internal mental states--

Italicizing internal thoughts: Genius. I'm gonna start using that. It's just so clear!







No comments:

Post a Comment